|Shipping Infectious Substances (IATA and DOT)
Contact Hours: 3
|Who should take this course: Anyone who...
- Prepares hazardous materials for transportation; Selects packaging or packages hazardous materials;
- Completes a shipper`s declaration or other paperwork associated with the transport of hazardous materials;
- Loads, unloads, or handles hazardous materials;
- Is responsible for safety of transporting hazardous materials;
- Operates a vehicle used to transport hazardous materials.
- General awareness and familiarization
- Identification of hazardous materials
- Packaging operations
- Marking and labeling
- Shipping papers
- Federal Register update
|Upon completion of this online course, participants should be able to:
- locate and use the Federal hazardous materials regulations; properly label and mark hazardous material containers for shipment;
- complete Bill of Lading for hazardous materials;
- select proper packaging for hazardous materials;
- develop appropriate emergency response information to accompany shipments.
|This course is intended to be completed at your own pace. Although not required, we suggest taking the modules in the order they are presented, particularly if you are new to hazardous materials transportation.
Each module contains text explaining the federal regulatory requirements with links to external web resources. And again, while not required, we suggest you explore each link to gain a better understanding of proper transportation of hazardous materials.
At the end of each module you will find a link to the exam for that module. Each user is required to complete the exam for each module to demonstrate participation in the course. Each exam is a series of multiple choice questions. After selecting your answers for all questions in the exam, you must click the submit button to score the exam and record your results. You may take an exam as many times as you wish.
While there is no passing score requirement for this course, we suggest you use the exams to assess your understanding of the regulations. Upon completion of the course, you will mailed a certificate of participation.
- Introduction to Hazardous Materials and Dangerous Goods Transportation
- Training Requirements
- Other Regulatory Entities
- Penalties for Non-compliance
- The Compliance Process
- Exam 1
- Identifying Hazardous Materials
- Step 1: Identify and Classify the material
- Classes 1-9
- Infectious Substances & Risk Groups
- Step 2 Select the Proper Shipping Name
- Classification Flow Chart
- Exam 2
- Preparing Hazardous Materials for Shipment
- Step 3. Choosing an Authorized Package
- State and Operator Variations
- Exceptions and Materials of Trade
- Steps 4 and 5: Apply the Required Markings and Labels
- Exam 3
- Shipping Papers & Emergency Response
- Step 6 Preparing a Shipping Paper (49 CFR 172.202)
- Bill of Lading
- Shipper's Declaration of Dangerous Goods
- Air Waybill
- Step 7 Emergency Response Information (49 CFR 172.600)
- Exam 4